PITTSBURG — Pittsburg State University has released its 2013 football schedule today (Feb. 13).
The Gorillas will host five games among their 11-game regular season schedule, starting with the season opener on Sept. 7 against Northeastern State University.
Pitt State also will host Southwest Baptist University on Sept. 21, before taking on a Football Championship Series (FCS) opponent in Abilene Christian University for Homecoming at Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith Stadium on Oct. 5.
The Gorillas also will host Northwestern Oklahoma State University from the Great American Conference in the Hall of Fame Game on Nov. 2 and close out the regular season on Nov. 16 by hosting Missouri Southern State University in the Miner's Bowl on Senior Day.
Pitt State will face road tests on Sept. 14 against the University of Central Oklahoma, Sept. 28 against Lincoln University, Oct. 12 against the University of Central Missouri, Oct. 26 against Missouri Western State University and Nov. 9 against Lindenwood University.
The Gorillas also will meet MIAA rival Northwest Missouri State University in The Fall Classic at Arrowhead XII on Oct. 19.
Key Points to the 2013 Pitt State Football Schedule • This will be year two of the new expanded MIAA schedule. Once again in 2013 the Gorillas will not face Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, the University of Nebraska-Kearney or Washburn University.
• The 2013 season will feature the 12th installment of The Fall Classic series and the last game under contract between Pitt State & Northwest in Kansas City, Mo. The two traditional rivals will not play one another in 2014-15. Discussions about future games once the series resumes in 2016 will be on-going during the two-year "sabbatical".
• Season ticket prices for 2013 will remain the same as 2012, as promised prior to the 2012 season. Game day ticket prices will be announced in April.
• Pitt State's Oct. 5 Homecoming contest against Abilene Christian will mark the first time in school history the Gorillas host an FCS member school on campus.
• Due to a recent change in MIAA operating rules, the Pride of the Plains Marching Band will be relocated to a different section on the lower east side. Section "P" will be sold as mid-field reserved prime-location seating on a game-to-game basis. Prices will be announced in April. These seats cannot be sold a season tickets because they are not/will not be available during any potential playoff contests, so they will be sold strictly game-by-game.
• Any changes to GorillaFest, parking, etc., will be announced in April.
Top Sports Stories in the 4-StatesTop Sports HeadlinesMore>>